Followers

Monday, December 3, 2012

One of the ways I Cope

Well, maybe this writing is helping me.  I had a bit of a breakthrough with my last post on "How I Think".  It is kind of strange and I am not writing this down  so I can get a bunch of people feeling sorry for me.  I am writing this thought down because it is my reality.  That is very important to me. 

This is my last complaining post.  I did my wallowing and I am done.  I have to deal with the situation I am in and I have decided to let alot of things go.  I can be very stubborn, but I have to stop wishing for changes that aren't going to happen.   I can adapt.  I am just very unsure of how at the moment.

My way of coping through my whole life has been to make up stories.  It started with my dreams.  I used to have very vivid dreams.  They were so powerful that I began a dream journal in my twenties.  I had them from the time I was 6 years old and for a reason I can't explain they stopped within the last few years.  My parents took me to the movie Gremlins.  It was rated G at the time, but that movie really scarred me.  It was with that movie that I began to replay the pictures I saw in my dreams, only it was my family dying instead of the actors.  It was very traumatic for me and I became super careful about what I watched.  I was tricked into seeing Nightmare on Elm Street at a sleep over.  She told me about the bad words, but not the high level of violence.  Let's just say I was awake all night in an indescribable terror because every time I closed my eyes.  I saw myself getting killed.  I did not know how my friend could sleep after watching that movie, in fact I don't remember seeing her again.

I did not really have any playmates when I was younger.  The block is a child's whole life and I grew up in the busy city of Burbank, Ca.  I traveled along my city block from corner to corner during the day, but there were not any other girls my age to play with.  I missed out on the girls social structure from the very beginning of my life.  I don't think it would have really mattered, I found and still find girls to be very confusing.  If I wanted to play with someone it had to be with boys and they could only stand me(and I them) for so long, so I learned to play by myself.  I developed a habit of talking out loud when I played.  It helps me to form my ideas.  I believe that is why we are social creatures.  Talking aloud, even if the other person can't offer a solution, helps to define the emotions we are feeling.  It seems a bit crazy to talk to one's self, but I did not have anyone I could safely express myself to so I began to trust my own opinion.

My Mother went on a trip to England to visit a Sister living there and she left my brothers at home with my Dad, but since I had to get to summer school she had me stay with her friend, Alice.  I was about 8 at the time and Alice's children were much older than me, so I tried to be extra good while I stayed there.  Anyway, Alice had a pool in her backyard.  I had never felt so safe and happy as I did in that water.  I made up games and intricate stories of mermaids and princes.  I talked out loud and I remember feeling a blush of Scarlet when Alice answered one of my rhetorical questions.  I was so lost in my own world I became embarrassed that she had heard me.  But, this was about the time when I began placing myself into the stories on purpose.

It just has become more in depth as I have gotten older.  I use a TV show or characters in a book as the base of my story and then I make sub-plots with me placed in that reality.  I figure out a back story and how I can enter the show just as any other character.  I have my traits.  I have my normal problems, but in my head the other people act like I want them to.  They follow the script that I write, like they are suppose to, none of this unpredictable behavior that I just do not understand.  I don't have visions of popularity or riches.  I don't care about that.  I just have some one who  recognises my strange, but interesting traits and want to be with me, something that has yet to happen in real life. 

So I have a different feeling about actors then most.  I do not understand being obsessed.  Do not get that at all.  The character you watch is not that person, it is an amalgamation of that actors personal quirks and a writer.  That is why when I see an actor I like I do not want to know anything about him.  I do not want his own personal douche bag-ness to sully the character I like so much.  I really do not want to hear about his failed marriages and about how he was picked up for drunk driving because then it messes up his character for me.  What I find fascinating is that I tend to like the physical quirks and vocal intonations of an actor, so I like to research all the different projects they have been in.  With the advent of Netflicks I can have a movie marathon or a new TV show in the queue.

That is how I ended up writing a novel.  I really need to work on it, but the story came from a dream that came out of the blue when I was in college.  I was so taken with the images I saw that I started to write a story to explain what was happening.  I can still remember that original dream even though it has been close to 10 years later.  I never was able to write the dream down because I never had the ability to describe the images.  After I became home bound I decided to try my hand  at writing the pictures in my head down.  I am so bad at placing the commas in the right spots and the technical side of writing that I kind of gave up, but I wrote the First book down into the computer.  That process took more than 2 years.  I have always had a very active imagination and this has become my new way to cope.  I understand that it may never be read, but I realize I am fine with that possibility. I am grateful that I learned a way to cope with out drugs or insane behaviour.  This is terrible embarrassing to me, but through the stories I have been able to endure the lack of social interaction and loneliness.

So here is the kicker.  I do not have a need for a happy ending in any of my stories.  Why, when A). I had not experienced that in real life and B). my life is still in flux.  I do not know how to manufacture the feelings of a "happy ending".  and it took having to consider the ending of my book for me to realize I have no idea how to finish it.  I have found I can only write what I know and that is for the male character to say "no, I don't want you" to my female character, but I know that no one would accept that ending.  Hey, I wouldn't accept that horribleness either, So the book lays unfinished, until I can figure out a way for the two characters to be together without all the mushy gooey-ness that I have read in every book.  I may have dreams of fantasy, but they are nothing like the immature ridiculousness of a romance novel.  I have always been confused by that ideal.

And what is even more disturbing to me is that I don't want to think of anymore stories.  Now they just feel like a mean way of taunting me because I have not only lost the belief that I will ever be a function member of society, but I don't want to bend anymore and be a function member of society..  If I am honest, which tends to be a horrific mess, I do not feel capable of the sacrifice needed to be with another person.  Isn't that just a kick in the pants.  Ha!  That makes me feel better in an off kind of way.  I was in the screwed up category before I became sick, but now huge pockets of myself have shut down.  Moving to Virginia was the death knell for me and I knew it.  I fought for 2 years to stay away from my parents home because it is in the middle of no where.  I  just need more people to sift through and there is no single life in this area.  My fate feels so cruel, but I am trying my best to keep moving forward. 

What do I think of now?  My future has become a big blank spot.  The way I have cope since childhood has become a shallow fleeting exercise in futility.  I feel condemned to do the same thing over and over in a strange form of slavery. I am a very purposeful person.  I have always had my own distinct goals and wants to cling to, but now they are gone.  And I have to say to myself "Oh, Well." to survive.  I guess this is a form of mid-life crisis.  I learned along time ago not to judge myself with the yardstick of the world, but I chose instead to use the one that corresponds to my religion, the yardstick that measures family.  Well, that one is not going to work for me either, so I guess I can believe I can't be measured or I have to accept that in this world, at this time, I am a failure. 

Saying that seems like it should hurt, but instead it is strangely liberating, allowing me to be free of  my own expectations.

2 comments:

  1. Strangely liberating to say to yourself that you're a failure...I love that. I obsess a lot about where exactly our expectations come from, anyway. Why do we need/have them? Sometimes I think we'd be so much better off without them but how do we get rid of them? I hate my rhetorical questions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you feel like a failure but I do like that you feel liberated. You deserve some freedom from the need to be placed in the cookie cutter. I also know you and although you say you have given up you are not done. For you to be liberated I know that means you are on the path of a new change for you. How depressingly scarey and exciting.
    In regards to your book please give us a cheesie ending or an amazing one but something. I hate the genre you put her in but love your character and her plot. But she is stranded.
    Then there is the other story Lady J is waiting for. I know you said you have given up on the stories so here is a new plot line. Friend goes insane waiting for completion.
    I am only kind of kidding. I am not sure if I ever sent you my ideas about your novel. If you still want my critiques let me know. I might be able to find them.
    And remember talking to your self is the mark of intelligence. Or it must be because it is sometimes the only time we can have an intelligent conversation. So keep on talking my friend. And hopefully keep on writing either here, in journals or YOUR BOOKS. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I hope I have fixed any problems. Thank you.