Followers

Monday, February 18, 2013

Why I served a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints



Here is the honest to goodness truth why I considered a mission.

I was graduating from community college and didn't want to look for a 4 year school to go to next.  Pretty sad, huh?

That is the real mundane reason.  I never even thought of going on a Mission at any point in my childhood.  For those who don't know, it is asked for every young man between the age of 18 - 26 to dedicate two years (18 months for females) of their lives preaching the Gospel as a Representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  It is considered a duty of the priesthood.  I am all for it for every man.  Just the skills of being poor and on your own, but still having a built-in support system plus a common goal is worth it's weight in future life.  I would hope that every male missionary goes out into the field with at least an inkling the Church is true, but the fire of service will refine that core of a person pretty quick.  Having to live within the rules and talk to strangers about Christ and being so very, very poor helps a person figure out their priorities.  Many have left the church.  It is sad to me, but thank goodness they figured out that they didn't want to do it or they didn't agree.

Now I do not have the same attitude about Sister missionaries.  As a female you go because you have a conviction to go.  Some of the Sister missionaries were the best, most spiritual creatures that have ever walked the earth.  They believed and they prepared.  One the other hand Sister Missionaries could also be the worst, lazy and complaining.  I was struck by the dichotomy of the two types of sisters.

Where did I fit?  Depends on who was my companion.  One of my dear sisters accused of being "like an Elder"  and she was right.  I didn't prepare for a mission.  I never went to seminary(bible class) because it was in the early morning and I had marching band.  I did not go out with the missionaries to prepare and I had no idea what they did all day.  I knew about a companion, but I was shocked at the Missionary Training Center when she told me she had to be with me 24 hours a day,couldn't leave my side, ever, not even to go to the bathroom.  I thought that was a little much, but as I served I saw the wisdom in always having a witness, people like to do naughty things.  I was a strange sister to have to put up with and I knew it.

So, how did I end up out there in Montana leading all those cattle ranchers to the light.  The idea just popped into my head and instead of shoving it back out again I let it linger.  It was that religion class.  I had decided that I would be an active member of my church, I just didn't know what that meant.  I looked around me.  I didn't want to go to more school and I had no idea what job I could fit into.  I was 21 years old with no prospect of a date let alone marriage, so I decided to make a decision.  I prayed.

I did what everyone tells you to do.  I asked in the way I was always taught.  Nothing.  It was pretty disappointing not having that Angel come down and tell me what to do, but I was determined to get an answer, so I fasted, giving up a couple of meals.  I was assured that was the way to get some attention from God, but still nothing.  I thought it was time to go bigger, so I fasted again, this time no food, only water for 3 days.  I think the gesture was appreciated, but what I did wasn't necessary.  My perceived answer came when I was reading my patriarchal blessing.  That is a special blessing that each member can get in their teens.  It is viewed as an individuals own small piece of scripture.  I read mine,  It stated that there would be specific people that would be brought to me to be taught.  That did it.  I decided if I was going to be a Mormon then I better know what I was talking about.

It took over a year for me to get my call.  That is not normal.  In the mean time my resolve harden when I watched others leave.  My friend S is an example.  We meet at college and found that we had cross over on a lot of interest, but hadn't bumped into each other.  We both took Ballroom dancing and sign language.  When we met she said that she had put her mission papers in and I had just done the same thing at about the same time.  Her call was a rush.  She had to go before she had even turned 21 years old and  I was sitting waiting for my envelope, but seeing her face at her farewell meeting I remembering saying to myself that I wanted to have what she had.  I wanted the brightness, I wanted the light.  I don't know if I ever caught that special look while I was on my mission, but some have told me that I have after.

I was hoping for a sign language mission.  I knew I had to stay in the United States because of my health.  My health, that was the real thorn in the lion's paw.  The Doctors have never been good to me and I looked like a liability on my papers.  I really did not want to go foreign anyway.  That was why my application was delayed so much because of bad luck and health issues.  Salt Lake would ask for something and them I would jump through hoops to get what they wanted.  It took forever and the funny part was that it was all for naught.  The Church Headquarters try their best to get worthy capable youth, but this a volunteer job and everyone has their own motives as to why they go.  I met plenty of missionaries out there because their parents expected it.  I was free of expectations since I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

I used to run out to the mailbox looking for that white envelope, but by the time it finally came I didn't really care.  I opened it by myself, no family gathered all around waiting for the exciting news and found that I would be going to Montana.  That didn't bother me, it was the speaking English part I was upset about.  The blow was crushing.  I had really wanted to do sign language.  After all the waiting I finally got my call and I didn't want it.  The disappointment threaten everything.  My Dad said to say no.  I almost did, but I felt a strong sense of responsibility.  I had asked for this calling and it seemed wrong to say no.

Those 18 months, which turned into only about 14 (I came home for 3 months) were the most challenging, but also biggest changing point in my life.  Everything I have become revolves around those months.  Everything I am has it's start in those little beat up apartments in the middle of nowhere.  Hindsight can be twenty-twenty and as I look back I know of 2 people that I had to meet.  One person I had to influence and the second person influenced me.  If everything had worked out in the normal time frame I would not have met them. 

 
Cory was a drug addict from Denver trying to clean up his life.  He just happened to be in Worland, Wyoming (the tip was in my mission) for that small space of time having a baby with his girlfriend.  They knew they had to leave Colorado to save the baby and came to sleepy little Worland because her sister was there.  Dusty's sister was an active member of the church and we met at her home.  Skip-bo was the card game of choice.  I will post about the night I saw her baby born, but it is enough to say that I know I made a difference to that family.

The other person was Clint Collins, am Elder I met when I decided to return back to Montana after being home for 3 months.  I shouldn't have gone back.  I should have stayed home and gotten on with my life, but I went back to be a missionary and I meet the one person in my entire life that has changed my thinking.  I don't believe very many people, but I believed him and in the pattern of life we never should have met, but we did.  I will always be grateful for that tiny twist of fate.

A mission is not the right choice for everyone, but I am very glad I kept my promise and said yes to the call in the white envelope.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this post, Becky. I know your mission was hard, and I thought you were so brave to go back. I'm glad you can look back and see how valuable it was for you and for those you were able to influence. I hope to go on a mission in a few years--I was kind of jealous when Debbie went.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I hope I have fixed any problems. Thank you.